Sunday, September 7, 2014

Roussillon Maison - Day 7


"Roussillon Maison"
#7 of 30
8"x6" oil on canvas pad
$75.00

Back in May 2003, I was most fortunate to travel to Provence with artist Connie Winters who was giving an oil painting workshop based in Noves.  I was new to oil painting but I learned a lot from Connie and her demos and her teaching at our easels.  She arranged to provide transportation on our non-painting days and we ventured out to Avignon, St. Remy, Roussillon, Eygalieres, Gordes, Lourmarin, Cassis, Isle-sur-la-Sorgue and Marseilles.  

In Roussillon, which is famously known for the rock formations of red ochre, we roamed the hilly alleys and narrow streets of this most picturesque town.  We walked through and shopped among  the quaint shops lining the hills.  Some in our group bought some powdered pigment gathered from the cliffside which I assume they later used to fashion oil paints.  

This house that I painted above was just one image that I thought was very quaint and colorful.  Turquoise shutters are everywhere in  France!  Everywhere you turned in Roussillon was another beautiful sight! 

I thoroughly enjoyed my travels through Provence. 



No comments:

Post a Comment