Monday, January 11, 2016

The Roosevelt Hotel



"Roosevelt Hotel"
Day 11
6"x8" oil on canvas panel
$75.00

Can't believe it is day 11 of Leslie Saeta's 30 paintings in 30 days challenge but I am still standing so that is good.  I am really enjoying myself and learning little things each and every day.  It is demanding but it truly is fun.  

One evening we were on 5th Avenue and got caught in the masses of people looking at the Rockefeller Christmas Tree and the spectacular light show on the facade of Saks 5th Avenue.  As soon as we could we ducked down 45th Street to escape the crowds and came upon this beautifully lit Roosevelt Hotel.  It was so magical to me and I snapped several photos.  It was built in 1924 during the Roaring Twenties and Guy Lombardo and his orchestra played there for 30+years and even broadcast "Auld Lang Syne" from there one New Year's Eve!

I had already chosen my photo of the Roosevelt Hotel to paint today and I had just received Qiang Huang's blog where he talked about using a monochromatic color palette of black, white and transparent red oxide.  I felt this would be a perfect image to try to use his limited palette.  Since I already had these colors I started mixing and only added a little yellow ochre to bring in the bright lights needed.  I used a brush but a lot of palette knife for added texture.  Check out his blog if you are not familiar with him.  He does a lot of beautiful still life paintings but also does street scenes from his trips to China.  I have long admired his skills and hope you will check him out!

No comments:

Post a Comment